Sunday, January 8, 2012

The House that Builds You...

Today in Relief Society, we discussed the wise and foolish men and their houses.  All I can say is: Location, Location, Location. haha.

Well Matthew chapter 7:24-27 says:
"Therefore, whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto the wise man, which built his house upon a rock:
"And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon on that house; and it fell not; for it was founded upon a rock.
"And everyone that heareth these sayings of mine and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand:
"And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it"

Just ponder the importance of laying a foundation for how ourselves.  When we need the support of the gospel, what is there to help us bear the stormy trials of life.  We need to lay a firm foundation for our houses.  A foundation of nice solid concrete beats sand and dirt any day.  And the upkeep! Just as our real houses are in constant need of repairs, how testimonies need the occasional patches to cover the worn holes.
And the cleaning! Always remember to clean your windows. :) It is easier to regularly clean your windows, for they increasingly get covered covered in dirt and grime.  Christ is your neighbor.  Use His atonement to clean your windows, for the dirtier they become, the harder it is to see Him. 

"The House that Built Me" by Miranda Lambert 

Mama cut out pictures of houses for years
From Better Homes and Gardens magazine
Plans were drawn and concrete poured
Nail by nail and board by board
Daddy gave life to mama’s dream
 As we build and steady our foundations and houses piece by piece, layer by layer, we fortify our beautiful testimony.  It occurs in steps, for nothing so grand and strong can exist all at once.
I thought if I could touch this place or feel it
This brokenness inside me might start healing
Out here it’s like I’m someone else
I thought that maybe I could find myself

If I could just come in I swear I’ll leave
Won’t take nothing but a memory
From the house that built me
Our foundational testimonies can only give us strength if we continually fortify them.  We cannot abandon them to destruction.  No worldly thing can fully replace it and fill that void.
You leave home and you move on and you do the best you can
I got lost in this old world and forgot who I am

I thought if I could touch this place or feel it
This brokenness inside me might start healing
Out here it’s like I’m someone else
I thought that maybe I could find myself

If I could walk around I swear I’ll leave
Won’t take nothing but a memory
From the house that built me
I just related a Miranda Lambert song to gospel doctrine... yes, I did!  If only I could correlate "Powder and Lead"...hmmm...







Peace Out!!

No comments:

Post a Comment