Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Great Grandma Leatha Leone Rivers

 My Great Grandmother Leatha Leone Rivers

April 28, 1917- January 24, 2012


Now this was one special lady.  She was a very devout Catholic who knew the meaning of love
and service.  She knew how to be self-reliant, having her own chicken coop and making
most of her own clothes.  The last great matriarch, family was very important to her.
She had seven children and over 40 descendants, including two great-great grandchildren.


Grandma and Grandpa Rivers

Their first picture together




At around age thirteen, Grandma paid to have her first ever picture taken with one live chicken.


Grandma knew hardship.  She lived before cars, indoor plumbing, and electricity.  
The lived through the Great Depression, war time, and other periods of hardships.  She
was a widow the last 30 years of her life.
  She lost her seventh child, Steve, when he was just a toddler.
My father was born at about the time Steve passed, so he and Grandma were always very close.



I think these two pictures are my favorites.  Both were taken in the 1950s.




Here is my Grandpa Roy with Great Grandma.  Got to love 1970s fashion. haha.



Family Portrait in the early 1980s.
Martha, Gary, my Grandpa Roy, Bub
my Great Grandparents Jake and Leatha, Betty,
Nancy


So that's where my cat eye glasses obsession came from!!!

Grandma meeting ME for the first time.
1991


April 27, 2002
Grandma's Birthday party

Grandma with my famfam
 Daddy with his Grandma

 Grandma made SO MANY hand sewn quilts.  All of my baby blankets she made will
definitely be passed down generations.
 



Dear Grandma Rivers,
I will always love you and cherish my memories of you.
Of the chickens eating our leftovers.  You being over 90 years old and still living on your own in your own trailer house.  I remember waking up at 7 or 8 in the morning and 
you had a huge Southern breakfast ready.  MMMM.
I don't think anyone on this planet could beat your homemade
chicken and dumplings, greens, cornbread, fried chicken, and strawberry sugar cake. 
I will never forget the 6 hour drive to Louisiana to visit listening to that
dag-gum George Strait album over and over again. haha.
Your sternness with that subtle hint of compassion will always be your trademark.



Here is my rose from her casket bouquet.  I dried it to perserve it.


2 comments:

  1. It's hard to lose someone we love. But I can see that you will find comfort in the memories that you made with her. With sympathy for your loss.

    ReplyDelete